Pages

La Lohan Triumphs Over The California Justice System


Lindsay Lohan
pleaded no contest to two counts of DUI (driving with a .08 blood alcohol level or higher) through her attorney Blair Berk in a Los Angeles courtroom earlier today. By law, Lohan becomes a second offender (with two DUIs) and must serve a minimum of four days in jail. But the judge cut that in half by ordering her to perform 10 days of community service in lieu of two of the days. The judge also gave Lindsay one day credit for time served when she was busted. That means La Lohan will probably spend only one day in jail (or less, as in the case of Nicole Richie, who spent only 82 minutes in jail today and only 35 of those minutes were spent in an actual jail cell).

Lohan also pleaded guilty to two counts of being under the influence of a controlled substance (two separate incidents) -- both misdemeanors. She also pleaded no contest to reckless driving.The judge said Lohan will serve 36 months probation and attend an alcohol education program for 18 months.Lohan was also ordered "not to associate with people with controlled substances."

As to the controlled substance plea, Lohan was ordered not to use controlled substances. She's also required to enroll in an additional drug program. She's also required to remain at the Cirque Lodge rehab facility on Mount Timpanogos in Sundance, Utah, where she's currently in treatment.

By January 18, 2008, Lohan must show she has successfully completed rehab.


Lindsay Lohan issued the following statement to the media earlier today:

"It is clear to me that my life has become completely unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs. Recently, I relapsed and did things for which I am ashamed. I broke the law, and today I took responsibility by pleading guilty to the charges in my case. No matter what I said when I was under the influence on the day I was arrested, I am not blaming anyone else for my conduct other than myself. I thank God I did not injure others. I easily could have. I very much want to be healthy and gain control of my life and career and have asked for medical help in doing so. I am taking these steps to improve my life. Luckily, I am not alone in my daily struggle and I know that people like me have succeeded. Maybe with time it will become easier. I hope so."


Lohan was not present in court. She did not have to be present unless felony charges were to be filed, which they were not.


It appears that the D.A. feels extreme sympathy for Lohan's broken home upbringing and drug and alcohol addictions. The D.A. says Lohan's cocaine traces "were below the .05 grams required by office policy for felony filing." The fact that she was arrested twice in a short period of time actually helped her by showing she is struggling with an addiction problem. The fact that each time she was arrested she immediately checked into a rehab facility also helped her case. Also, her young age (just turned 21 in July) and the fact that her childhood was unstable also worked in her favor.


A law enforcement source said the following regarding La Lohan:


"Prosecutors in this county see a lot of kids in crisis. There are lots of kids struggling with addiction. The first sign of trouble usually involves a car. We're not going to throw every one of them in prison. It doesn't make sense
."